Album Review: If I Did Not Speak Out from Ryan Barry
Album: If I Did Not Speak Out
Artist: Ryan Barry
Label: G2 Records & Publishing
Street Date: September 11, 2026
Website: https://www.ryanbarrymusic.com
Label Site: https://www.g2recordsandpublishing.com
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rbarrymusic
Ryan Barry is an American jazz saxophonist, composer, and multi-instrumentalist whose music integrates traditional hard bop language with modern swing and contemporary voices. His bio claims he was "drawn to improvisation from an early age, [when] he discovered his passion for jazz while performing in his university big band, setting the course for a career centered on composition, collaboration, and artistic exploration." Traits that came together on his latest release If I Did Not Speak Out.
The album opens with “I’ll Close My Eyes,” composed by Billy Reid. The arrangement gives the quintet space to interact freely as Barry’s tenor and Melsha’s trombone shape the melody, settling into a swinging rapport that counter-weighs tradition with contemporary sensibilities. Barry’s original work “Hold Me Close” is berth by a flighty bossa rhythm, suspending lyrical phrases that blossom into a tender serenade. “Waltz for Miri” emotes joy and invigorating optimism, eliciting an upbeat mood as Barry's saxophone stitches soothing aesthetics across "Till There Was You." Closing with "If I Didn't Speak Out," the ensemble showcases a big band flare that permeates an uplifting spirit.
Recorded at Grand Street Recording Studio in New York City and mixed by Chris Sulit of Trading 8s Recording Studio, the album pairs reimagined standards with some of Barry's original works. The ensemble engages in impromptu conversation, discovering the ability to listen to one another, connect with each other, and contribute to the themes of the compositions.
Musicians:
Ryan Barry - tenor saxophone
Jacob Melsha - trombone
Charles Colizza - electric guitar
Chris Smith - upright bass
Matty Grattan - drums

Comments
Post a Comment